Tuesday, August 14, 2018

How I built 3D version of fractal – Pythagoras Tree

Once I was reading in Wikipedia different mathematical articles and accidentally opened an article about Fractals and I liked the picture with 2D Pythagoras tree.


Then I wanted to see how it would look like in 3D and search returned me this:


As it is clearly seen, this one is 3D Model made in one of the 3D Editing software. Inspired by this picture I decided to build my own Pythagoras Tree from wooden coffee sticks.

So, I managed to make 3-level tree:
  • First level – One big cube (12 sticks)
  • Second Level – Four cubes which are 1.41 (square root of 2) times smaller (4*12=48 sticks)
  • Third level – 16 small cubes (16*12=192 sticks)
In total 252 sticks were required, which were connected by rubbers. And this is what I got in the end:



I took my time and spent 5 minutes per day, this is why the whole process took around 6 months.

After this, I made 270 photos from different sides and on 3 level. With special software, I managed to make 3D Model out of these 270 pictures. This is the model:

Video with an explanation of the creation process of Pythagoras Tree and result:

No comments:

Post a Comment